Previously the site was occupied by a 1980s three-story office block which fell vacant in 2009. Hightown purchased this land in 2012 and has since demolished the disused buildings and replaced them with two modern apartment blocks surrounding an attractive central courtyard.
The homes opened in December 2017.
The postal addresses of each block are in keeping the site’s heritage as the former home of Rose’s Lime Cordial plant. During the Blitz, Roses moved its headquarters from the London Docks (a key German target) to St Albans. Roses Court and Lauchlin Court have been named in honour of Lauchlin Rose, who patented a method to preserve citrus juice without alcohol in 1867.
Bugler Developments built the homes, Tooley Foster were the architects and Calfordseaden were the employers agent on the project.
Hightown thanks the Homes and Communities Agency who contributed funding for the 34 much-needed homes for affordable rent.
Take a virtual tour...