Welcome to your new Hightown home

Watch this video to find out what the six simple rules of the tenancy agreement are.

When you move into a new home you have certain rights and responsibilities. 

You will need to sign a tenancy agreement. This sets out the expectations required between you (the tenant) and your Landlord (Hightown Housing Association),.

After this has been signed you will be issued with the keys to your new home. 

Your responsibilities as a tenant will include the following: 
  • Taking care to avoid damaging the property 
  • Paying the agreed rent on time 
  • Paying all other bills and charges as specified in your tenancy agreement 
  • Paying for any damage caused by you or your guests
  • Allow Hightown Housing Association access to your home to conduct inspections and to do any necessary maintenance works 
  • Not sub-letting the property
  • Reporting any problems with the property (for example, mould or broken windows) to Hightown in good time so that they can arrange for these problems to be fixed

Important: Please ensure you read your Tenancy Agreement before signing to ensure you understand what is expected of you as a tenant and what is expected from Hightown Housing Association as your Landlord, please ask any questions if you do not understand what is being asked. 


Once you've signed your tenancy agreement and have got your keys, there's a number of things you'll need to set up.


Did you know that your benefits are paid in arrears, but your tenancy agreement requires you to pay rent in advance?

Your tenancy may be at risk if you are in arrears by your 9-month review on a starter tenancy (34 weeks).  

Take action:

  • Have you set up a direct debit for ongoing rent and any payment plan to cover your rent in advance?
  • Income recovery can be reached on 01442 292280 to set this up.


  • If you were on housing benefit and moved within the same borough, complete a change of circumstances.
  • If you were on Universal Credit, change your rent details under "change of circumstances" in your online account. 
  • If you need to make a new claim for rent support this is normally through Universal Credit: Tick that you require support with rent and fill in your rent details. Any claim to legacy benefits will stop.  
Council Tax

Advise the council that you have moved for council tax: 

Find your local council  


  • If you are the only adult in the household; apply for the 25% single persons discount
  • If you are on a low income; apply for council tax reduction
  • Please note that the forms differ from council to council  

Meter readings

  • Make a note of meter readings for gas/electric and water to provide to your new suppliers.
  • Advise the supplier of your move (you will need to provide your move in date) and register with them as the bill holder 

Check your suppliers

  • Contact your water supplier and discuss your move / support for those on a low income.
  • Advise them if your property is a new build as it can take time for the postcode to be registered. 



TV Licence

If you plan to watch TV live or through the BBC iPlayer, even if you're only going to do this on your tablet or laptop, you'll require a TV licence.

You can register to pay online, by phone, or by post. If you're paying by direct debit, you can choose to pay for an entire year upfront, or make smaller payments each month or quarter. 


Update your new address
  • Don't forget to change the address detailed on your driving licence. You can be fined up to £1,000 if you fail to inform the DVLA of your move.
  • It's also a wise idea to update your bank, or building society and any other financial providers such as credit cards and loan providers as soon as possible to minimise your risk of fraud.