Your tenancy with Hightown is a legal agreement that sets out:

  1. What your property is

  2. Our rights and what we must do

  3. Your rights and what you must do

Types of tenancies

You will either be offered a starter tenancy or an assured tenancy. This will depend on your previous tenancy.

Starter tenancy

A starter tenancy is a probationary tenancy for the first twelve months. It is reviewed at nine months by the housing team.

Your starter tenancy will then convert to an assured tenancy at the end of the starter period, or at the end of an extension period provided Hightown has not served a Section 21 notice.

Starter tenancy applies if: 

  • You have never held a tenancy, lived in temporary accommodation, or privately rented. 

Assured tenancy

  • Your tenancy will be an assured tenancy if you currently hold an assured, secure or fixed term social housing tenancy.
  • An assured tenancy means you can normally live in your property for the rest of your life.

Your rights, responsibilities and obligations 

What Hightown will do
  • Give you possession of the premises - you have the right to live there without interruption or interference from us, except where we need access or there is a breach of tenancy.
  • Repair the structure and exterior of the property, plus installations and communal areas.
  • Provide succession to a partner, subject to criteria.
  • Provide you with information.
Your rights
  • Right to occupy without interruption or interference from us, except where we need access, or you have breached your tenancy agreement.
  • Right to take in lodgers.
  • Right to information.
  • Right to consultation.
  • Right to complain to us.
Your obligations

You must:

  • Move in to your property and take possession of the premises
  • Not part with possession nor sub-let the property.
  • Not grant a sub-tenancy, and not let the whole premises for short term lets or through a holiday letting agency.
  • Use the property as your only or principal home and not operate a business that might cause a nuisance or annoyance to people in the neighbourhood.

Subletting and tenancy fraud is a criminal offence, penalties include unlimited fines and a prison sentence of up to two years.

Your responsibilities
  • Pay your rent in advance.
  • Make direct payment to Hightown of any Housing Benefit or any other state benefit for housing costs (Universal Credit) you receive.
  • Pay Hightown for any reasonable losses, costs and expenses incurrent as a result of works we carry out that are due to damage or are the responsibility of the tenant.
  • Pay any outstanding former tenancy arrears or recharges to the Association.
  • Pay for all outgoings – gas, electric, water, council tax etc.
  • Keep the interior of the premises in good and clean condition and in good decorative order.
  • Dispose of household rubbish correctly, not to allow rubbish or garden waste to build up, and to keep the property free from vermin.
  • Keep gardens and balcony areas neat and tidy, properly maintained and in good order. Not to remove, alter or replace any hedge, fence, wall or tree.
  • Repair fixtures and fittings if you damage them.
  • Allow the Association’s employees or contractors access at reasonable times when given reasonable notice to inspect the condition of the premises, or to carry out repairs or other works to the Premises or adjoining property.
  • Allow the Association’s employees or contractors access at reasonable times when given reasonable notice to carry out health and safety inspections including servicing of gas installations, fixed wire electrics, fire doors and/or sprinkler systems. This list is not exhaustive.
  • The Association will normally give at least 24 hours' notice but more immediate access may be required in an emergency.
  • Tenants must give access for appointments. Adults over 18 years old can give access on behalf of the tenant for repairs and inspections. If access is refused or not provided, Hightown will take legal action to seek an injunction &/ possession of the property.
  • Report repairs to Hightown promptly (not to the builders /contractors on site if new build). All the ways to report a repair to us can be found here.
  • Not block local roadways, keep them clear of untaxed or un-roadworthy vehicles or any other obstruction.
  • Not assign the tenancy unless you have our written permission.
  • Not overcrowd the property.
  • Obtain Hightown’s permission in writing before taking in a lodger.
  • Notify us in writing if you are going to be absent from the property for 28 days or more.
  • Comply with our estate regulations.
  • Cooperate with us to help maintain fire safety.
What you must not do


  • Don't play anything so loudly that it causes a nuisance or annoyance to local residents and not play anything so loudly that it can be heard outside of your premises. You are reminded that it is likely to be a particularly sensitive issue between the hours of 11pm and 7.30am.


  • Pets – not to keep, and not allow any pets on the premises without prior written consent from Hightown.

Domestic Abuse

  • Don't carry out, threaten to carry out or cause any acts of violence or psychological abuse against anyone else.

Criminal activity 

  • To ensure that tenants, household members and visitors comply with the law, ensure that tenants, household members and visitors do not supply a controlled drug or other illegal substance, and do not use the property or estate for any illegal or immoral purposes.
  • Hightown resident and her daughter who is holding a foam toy house, on the sofa, in their new home.

    New tenants' guidance

    When you move into your first home there's lots to sort out and think about. This section will help you with understanding your rights and responsibilities as a Hightown tenant and what you'll need to do once you've moved in.

  • A resident sat in her lounge, drinking a coffee. She is smiling.

    Customer charter

    The customer charter sets out the standards of service we aim to achieve.

  • A dog and a kitten asleep together on the floor.


    We understand that lots of our tenants would like to keep a pet. If you're thinking about adopting a pet, you should ALWAYS check with us and get permission first.

  • Someone holding cardboard cut out of a blue house in the palm of their hands.

    Right to buy

    Discover more about the 'right to buy' or 'right to acquire schemes.