We take reports of anti-social behaviour seriously

We will work with residents to help prevent anti-social behaviour from occurring and will react quickly when incidents occur. We will work in partnership with other agencies to prevent and tackle anti-social behaviour in the neighbourhoods where we own homes.

Reporting anti-social behaviour

You can report anti-social behaviour online via your MyHightown account. 

Alternatively, you can contact your housing officer during office hours on 01442 292300. Or you can leave a message out of hours on our 24-hour messaging service by calling 07768 286694. This is a message service only, a member of staff will contact you within two working days of the message being received.

 Report anti-social behaviour

  ASB information pack

Criminal activity such as drug use should also be reported to the local police on 101 or 999 in cases of emergency. Reports can also be made to police anonymously through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

  • What is anti-social behaviour?

    Anti-social behaviour may include noisy neighbours, loud music, abandoned cars, problems with animals, verbal abuse, vandalism, graffiti, litter and nuisance from young people.

    Examples of behaviour which will not be considered anti-social behaviour include noise caused by everyday living, children playing, DIY activities (during reasonable hours), cooking smells, religious or cultural practices, neighbour disagreements or lifestyle clashes, smoking cigarettes (unless in communal areas) or pet ownership where there is no related nuisance.

    For low-level problems (e.g. noise nuisance) often the best thing to do first is to have a chat with your neighbour. If this doesn't work, or you don't feel comfortable to do so, please contact us.

    Please be advised that where the perpetrator is unknown Hightown are unlikely to be able to take action.

    We will keep reports anonymous when requested however please be advised this may limit the intervention actions available to us.


  • How we deal with anti-social behaviour

    The action Hightown may take depends on the type of anti-social behaviour you report. Please contact your Housing Officer for more information. In most cases, your Housing Officer will work with you to resolve the issue through tenancy reminders or interviews, we may also offer mediation where appropriate.

    Diary sheets are a valuable way of collecting evidence so that we can investigate reports of anti-social behaviour. We use the diary sheets to get a better understanding of the  problem and sometimes as evidence if we need to take court action.

    In serious cases, it may be appropriate for Hightown to pursue legal action. In these cases, we will need you to work with us to enable us to investigate and prepare a case for court. We will also work with other agencies that may be involved in the investigation, such as the Police or Environmental Health, so you may also need to work with them.


How we manage your complaint and the actions available will depend partly on whether the anti-social behaviour is classed as type 1 or type 2.

  • Examples of Type 1 ASB would include but are not limited to:

    Noise nuisance – including music nuisance or domestic arguments

    Criminal activity – including drug use or drug dealing

    Verbal abuse – including swearing or shouting

    Vehicle nuisance – including obstructing access or dangerous driving

    Dumped rubbish or fly-tipping – including household items or misuse of rubbish bins



  • Examples of Type 2 ASB would include but are not limited to:

    Harassment or intimidation

    Violence – Acts of actual violence or threats of violence

    Serious criminal activity – including drug dealing and gang, knife or gun crime

    Hate/mate crime – Exploitation of another person linked to a protected characteristic

    Offensive graffiti – Graffiti that uses offensive language or linked to a protected characteristic



Noise nuisance

In cases of noise nuisance, please keep a log of the noise for a period of two weeks before contacting us. We will need details such as when the noise is occurring, the nature of the noise and any effect it has on you or your household in order to investigate fully.

Useful Links  

ASB Diary Sheets

https://crimestoppers-uk.org/ - Anonymous reporting of criminal activity 

https://asbhelp.co.uk/ - Advice and information regarding the reporting and investigation of anti-social behaviour

https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/ - Support service for victims of crime or anti-social behaviour