We're sorry that you would like to leave. 

We are offering you up to £150 to say ‘thank you’ if you leave your property in good order. The checklist below will help you make sure you have done all you need to qualify for the ‘thank you’ payment

Before you move on checklist 

We have put some more information below on how to end your tenancy if you have already found a new home.

If you haven't found a new home yet, there are several different options for moving on that you can consider.

Ending your tenancy

  • Affordable or Social Rent

    You must give 4 weeks notice in writing if you are planning to leave.

    End of tenancy notification form (affordable tenancies)

    We will write back to confirm that we accept your notice and will give you details about what happens next.

    All our affordable weekly tenancies end on a Sunday.

    You will need to pay your rent until the end of your tenancy, take all your personal possessions and leave the property in a good condition. When you give in your notice, we will call you to discuss any work you might need to do to your home.

  • Intermediate rent

    If you pay your rent weekly, please use the form for affordable or social rent.

    You must give four full weeks’ notice if you are planning to end your tenancy and follow these few simple steps:

    • Please complete and return our end of tenancy notification form giving Hightown at least four full weeks’ notice that you are ending your tenancy.
    • Please note the tenancy will end on a Sunday and the keys will need to be returned to Hightown by 12 noon on the next working day after the tenancy ends. A meeting will be arranged with a Hightown representative at your property to check out and complete handover.
    • You will need to give Hightown vacant possession, clear the property of all personal possessions and return all property keys, including utility keys and parking permits.
    • Provide your new address, arrange for post redirection and close down your utility service contracts, including notifying the Council Tax department.
    • Pay your rent until your tenancy ends, and clear any arrears and other monies owed to Hightown.
    • Allow access during your four weeks' notice period for Hightown to carry out inspections and viewings at your home.

    End of tenancy notification form

    When the time comes for you to move we ask that you leave your home in a clean and tidy condition so we can re-let it without having to repair things that may have been damaged. It is important you change things that you have altered and remove old furniture and rubbish. A charge will be made to you for the cost of work if we have to put things right and this will be deducted from your deposit. Our lettings team will request refunds of deposits when you have vacated your home and any refund should be received within four weeks of your tenancy end date. 

  • Swapping homes (mutual exchange)

    If you have a secure, fixed-term or assured tenancy, one of the quickest ways to move would be by mutual exchange (find out more about different types of tenancies).

    In a mutual exchange you would swap your tenancy with another housing association or council tenant.

    How to find an exchange

    Homeswapper logo

    1. Visit HomeSwapper. You can use this website to look for a new home and advertise your home to other tenants. Make sure your advert has a photo. (Click here for some advice on getting people interested in your home.)

    2. Contact your local council. Some councils hold lists of people looking to mutual exchange.

    3. Advertise. You can put up a notice in local shops, newspapers, etc.

    Once you have found a partner to swap with, get in touch with us to start the process of swapping your tenancy.


    You cannot apply for an exchange if:

    • you rent on the Intermediate Rent or Rent-to-Homebuy scheme.
    • you have a Starter Tenancy (find out more about starter tenancies).
    • your rent account isn't clear.
    • there is significant damage to your home that needs to be fixed first.
    • the property would be too big or small for the family moving in.
    • your property has special adaptations for tenants with specific needs and you want to swap with someone who doesn't have those needs.
    • we have served a notice on your tenancy.
    • your property is reserved for local people, and the family moving in doesn't have a local connection.
    • we're taking legal action against your tenancy.


    What happens next?

    You will need to fill in this form to apply for your exchange.

    We will visit your home to check for any damage or alterations that need to be fixed before you can exchange.

    We will write a report for your new landlord, who will also write a report on your 'swap partner'. If both landlords are happy, you will be able to swap. You will have a decision from us within 42 days.

    You will both sign some paperwork to exchange your tenancies. You must not swap keys until you have our permission and the paperwork is done.

    Please note: once you swap tenancies, you take on all the responsibilities of the other persons tenancy. This could include any changes or damage to the property. Make sure you're happy with the condition of the property before you move in.

    For more information, have a look at our leaflet on mutual exchange.

  • Buying your home

    If you are looking to get on the property ladder

    Intermediate Rent

    If you are renting through our Intermediate Rent scheme, you will not be able to buy the home that you live. But we do offer properties for sale through the shared ownership scheme and


    • Rent-to-buy Homes are made available to rent with an assured shorthold tenancy at a reduced rate of 20% less of local market rents
    • As you are paying less rent this gives you the chance to save for a cash deposit so you can apply to buy a share of the home later
    • After the shorthold has ended, you can purchase the property on Shared Ownership terms, or move out
    • This assured shorthold tenancy period can be anywhere between a minimum of six months and a maximum of five years, giving you varying levels of security and time to save
    • Be aware there is very limited availability under this scheme
  • Apply to your Local Authority

    Local councils often have higher numbers of properties than Hightown and many housing associations also let out their homes through local authorities.

    You should always register with your local authority if you need to move to another affordable home. You often have a better chance of moving if you are on their waiting lists as well as ours.

    Some local authorities can have very long waiting lists, so they may not always accept everyone who applies for new housing. You may need to show them why you need to move.

    For more information about apply for a home through your local authority, please click here.