Further to the removal of the £20 Universal Credit uplift, many of our tenants (including those who are working and in receipt of UC) will be affected. Figures obtained via the Citizen's Advice website confirm how tenants finances will be impacted directly.

How will tenants be impacted?

While every Universal Credit claim will drop by around £85 a month, the proportion of income claimants will lose will vary depending on their circumstances. Single people under 25 are set to be hit by the biggest drop.

Monthly standard allowances will drop:

  • By a quarter for single claimants under 25, from £344 to £257.33
  • By a fifth for single claimants over 25, from £411.51 to £324.84 
  • By 17% for joint claimants under 25, from £490.60 to £403.93 
  • By 14% for joint claimants over 25, from £596.58 to £509.91

What help is available to Hightown tenants?

The Government has launched the Household Support Fund. There will be a total pot of £500 million made available to the most vulnerable households. This will be issued by the relevant local authorities/council; in this case Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire. As of yet there aren't any details on how these applications are to be made.

Find out more

Help with gas and electricity bills

Warm Home Discount

Due to the recent increase of gas and electricity costs there are some options available to help with payments.

You won't usually need to apply for the Warm Home Discount as it should be applied automatically. You will be in this group if you're on a low income and meet your energy supplier's criteria for the scheme. Up to £140 should be credited against individuals accounts.

Warm Home Discount

Winter Fuel Payments

If you were born on or before 26 September 1955 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

You will get your Winter Fuel Payment automatically (you do not need to claim) if you’re eligible and either:

  • get the State Pension
  • get another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit)

If you do not get either of these, or if you live abroad, you may need to make a claim.

If you’ve recieved a Winter Fuel Payment before, you do not need to claim again unless you’ve deferred your State Pension or moved abroad.

The deadline for you to make a claim for winter 2021 to 2022 is 31 March 2022.

Winter Fuel Payment

Cold Weather Payment

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest. You may be eligible to recieve the payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below over 7 consecutive days.

You’ll get £25 for each 7 day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.

Click the button below to check if a payment is due in your area. 

Cold Weather Payment 

If you have any queries, would like to talk through your rent balance or are in need of further support, please email income.recovery@hightownha.org.uk or call your Income Recovery Officer.