Don’t let your Christmas celebrations go up in smoke! And we’re not just talking about those over cooked brussels sprouts!

Faulty Christmas tree lights and candles can be a genuine hazard, especially when in close contact with decorations. Follow these simple rules to stay safe this Christmas:

Lights and decorations

  • Don't attach decorations, such as tinsel or baubles, to lights or heaters
  • Keep lighters, matches and candles away from little hands!!
  • Open fires should have a fire guard and should not be left unattended
  • Candles should not be left unattended, or placed near to flammable objects such as paper based decorations
  • If you have electric fairy lights, check that they carry the British Safety Standard sign
  • Remember to switch your lights off at the end of each day
  • Don't plug too many sets of lights or appliances in to one socket

Christmas Trees

  • Chose a spot for your Christmas tree that is away from any heat source, including a fireplace or radiators
  • Do not burn candles on your Christmas tree
  • Do not smoke cigarettes too close to your tree
  • If you are having a real tree this Christmas keep tree stand filled with sand or water at all times

In the case of an emergency, call 999 and ask for the Fire Service. For more information, read some safety tips from the Fire Service here.  

We hope you have a safe and fun Christmas!