Aids & Adaptations

If you, or a member of your family, is disabled we might be able to adapt your home to make your life easier.

You can ask for 'minor adaptations' at any time, just contact our Repairs team on 01442 292301 or email We aim to complete these in 42 days unless we need to get a quote.

Minor adaptations include:

  • grab rails or hand rails
  • fixed toilet frames
  • lever taps for washbasins, sinks or baths
  • entry phones

If you need a 'major adaptation', you need to send in the recommendation from your Occupational Therapist. Hightown can't fund this sort of work but you can apply for funding through a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). To find out how to get a grant, contact the Adult Care Services at your local council.

Major adaptations include:

  • level access showers to replace baths
  • permanent ramps
  • stair lifts or through-floor lifts
  • changes to doors or walls

Sometimes it isn't possible to make the changes you need to your current home. In these cases, we would support you to move to a home that is better suited to your needs.

If you have any questions, you can call our Repairs team on 01442 292301.