With summer now in full swing, if you have your own garden it may be time to bring out the BBQ again! Whilst this can be a fun, social gathering, having a BBQ can present serious fire safety risks and it is important that you follow some simple guidelines to ensure you remain safe.
- Never use barbeques indoors or on a balcony
- Ensure the barbeque is in good working order
- Never leave the barbeque unattended
- Do not wear loose clothing when cooking on the barbeque
- Ensure the barbeque is on flat level ground well away from outbuildings, sheds, bushes and trees
- The barbeque should be placed in the open air and not underneath marquees or covered areas
- Keep children and pets well away from the area
- Keep the area surrounding the barbeque clear
- Keep a bucket of water or sand nearby for emergencies
- Ensure the barbeque is cool before moving it
- Never put hot ashes or coal into the bin
For more BBQ guidance please visit the London Fire Brigade website.