Safeguarding means protecting people’s health, wellbeing and human rights, and enabling them to live free from harm, abuse and neglect. Safeguarding is everyone’s business.

Any form of abuse or neglect is unacceptable, no matter what justification or reason may be given for it. You can raise a safeguarding concern for an unborn child, child, young person or adult by contacting your local authority. Their website should have a section explaining how to report possible abuse and neglect. Alternatively, call the main local authority number and say you want to raise a safeguarding concern.

Once you notify the local authority, they have a duty to respond appropriately, taking into account the views of the person concerned. They may initiate a safeguarding enquiry, or they may provide social care services or information and advice to help resolve the issue.


Report a concern to your local authority 


Central Bedfordshire (Adults) – Protecting vulnerable adults from harm  

Central Bedfordshire (Children) – If you want to report abuse of a child, please call the Children’s Team on 0300 300 8585 


Buckinghamshire (Adults) – Report a Concern  

Buckinghamshire (Children) – Report a concern about a child 

Milton Keynes (Adults) – Safeguarding Adults and Children 

Milton Keynes (Children) – Call: 01908 253169 or 01908 253170 (Mon-Thurs, 9am-5pm and Fri 9am-4pm). Outside of these hours, you can call the Emergency Social Work team on 01908 265545. Alternatively, you can email 


Hertfordshire (Adults) – Report a concern about an adult – form  

Hertfordshire (Children) – Call: 0300 123 4043