How do I pay my rent?

You can make a payment online via:



Or you can set up a direct debit:

Direct debit 

How do I report a repair?

You can report a repair and track repairs on MyHightown or by calling 01442 292301, Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm.

After 5pm please contact the out of hours service on: 0845 160 0077 (local rate) or 0203 701 3525 (from a mobile).

Where can I go for support with sourcing furniture?

You can access your local welfare provisions based on where you live:


Herts Help

Contact: 0300 123 4044 or text hertshelp to 81025


Helping Hands


Central Bedfordshire Council

Search for grants

You can search for a grant by visiting Turn2us


How can I get support with food and fuel costs?

You can access your local welfare provisions based on where you live:


Herts Help

Contact: 0300 123 4044 or text hertshelp to 81025


Helping Hands


Central Bedfordshire Council

Can I get a pet?

If you would like to get a pet, you will need to send a letter to your Housing Officer requesting permission. 

Or, you can send a request via MyHightown.

How do I end my tenancy with Hightown?

You must give 4 weeks notice in writing stating that you wish to end your tenancy.

Please speak to your Housing Officer if you need any assistance with this.

How do I pay my Council Tax?

Find my local council

You can register online for Council Tax or call the Council Tax department at your local council. 

Once you’ve registered and have a reference, you can apply for a Single Person Discount, Council Tax Support and other discounts that you might be entitled to.

My income is from benefits - do I need to claim Housing Benefit to pay my rent?

If you live in supported, sheltered or temporary accommodation, or are of pension age, you will need to claim Housing Benefit.

For all other circumstances you will need to claim Universal Credit for help to pay your rent.     

I want to move from my current property, how do I do this?

Hightown no longer has an internal transfer list but you can explore the following options:

Housing Registers

Each local authority will run their own choice-based lettings system. If you have a housing need, speak to the local council (often you will need to show a local connection).

If you are moving with a medical condition you may need to fill out a medical form. If you are moving with a physical health condition you could ask your GP to refer you to an occupational therapist for a housing needs report which would outline what’s required in your new home. 

Mutual exchange

This is where you organise a house swap with another social housing resident.

Homeswapper: is a national organisation to connect you with people looking to swap homes in any area of the UK.


Private rent

Look at Rightmove or Zoopla

You can also search for other companies via the internet.

I am threatened with homelessness, what do I do?

If you are threatened with homelessness, or are already homeless, you will need to approach your local authority for a homeless application.

They can negotiate with landlords, decide whether they owe a duty to place you in temporary accommodation and will investigate your circumstances to decide if there is a full duty to rehouse you.

Seek advice on when to end your tenancy at Shelter.


Find my local council

What do I need to do when I receive my annual rent increase letter?

Hightown will send a letter to all tenants at the beginning of the financial year which will break down your new rent and service charges, if you are on benefits, you need to complete the following steps:

Universal Credit 

Update your new rent costs via your online account, or you can call the helpline on 0800 328 5644.

You cannot update your new rent costs until the date they happen i.e. for next year the date will be 01.04.2024.  If you do not update your rent costs within the timeframe of your assessment period where the change occurred, you may lose out on benefit.

Housing Benefit

You need to advise your local council of this increase, this could be advising them online or attending the council offices and showing them the letter received.

Can I get a lodger?

You will need to check your tenancy agreement and check if this is permitted.

You will need to send a request to your Housing Officer in writing and provide information as to why you require getting a lodger i.e. shortfall in rent, once approved you will need to provide the lodger’s personal information.

Please note: if taking in a lodger you will lose your single Person Discount for Council Tax. If you are on Universal Credit, they disregard any income from a lodger.

You will need to calculate based on your income and outgoings how much rent to charge, you can look at to check local rents in your area.

We hope you've found the FAQs helpful.

If you haven't been able to find the answer you're looking for please try using the search tool.